A professional dancer from New York passed away after eating a holiday cookie from Stew Leonard’s that was incorrectly labeled as containing peanuts.
In a tragic turn of events, a professional dancer in New York who was 25 years old passed away after eating a holiday cookie from Stew Leonard’s that was incorrectly labeled as containing peanuts.
According to a statement released by Attorney Marijo Adimey on Wednesday, Órla Baxendale developed a severe allergic response that caused her to go into anaphylactic shock. This occurred after she consumed a Vanilla Florentine cookie on January 11.
View this post on Instagram
According to News 12, the confection was ingested by Baxendale, who was born in the United Kingdom, at a social function in Connecticut. In the past, she had been a member of dance productions at the Lincoln Center and had also delivered performances during New York Fashion Week.
The manufacturer did not inform Stew Leonard’s about the presence of peanuts in the cookies, according to the statement, which states that peanuts are an ingredient in the cookies.
“The unfortunate incident that led to Órla’s death was the consumption of a cookie that was manufactured by Cookies United and sold by Stew Leonard’s. The cookie contained peanuts that were not disclosed,” Adimey explained.
CT Food, Standards & Product Safety Division and CT DPH are warning the public about cookies sold at Stew Leonard’s in Danbury & Newington that contained undeclared peanuts. Stew Leonard’s has issued a recall for the products.
— CT Public Health (@CTDPH) January 23, 2024
The Vanilla Florentine Cookies that were sold at Stew Leonard’s locations in Danbury and Newington, Connecticut, between the dates of November 6 and December 31, 2023, have been recalled as a responsible consequence of this unfortunate oversight.
In order to take preventative measures, the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection worked in conjunction with Stew Leonard’s to remove all baked goods manufactured by Cookies United from all of the locations of Stew Leonard’s in the state of Connecticut.
Stew Leonard; Cookies United blames
The president and CEO of Stew Leonard’s stated this has never happened before, adding that they bought the cookies from a Long Island bakery and were unaware that their Vanilla Florentine Cookies’ components had changed.
“Unfortunately, the firm selling these cookies didn’t tell us they changed the ingredients. We sold them honestly and one consumer was affected. The CEO commented, “We were devastated to learn this news and our family sends our deepest condolences.”
Although these circumstances are tragic, Stew Leonard’s was told by Cookies United in July 2023 that this product now contains peanuts, and all products sent to them have been labeled properly.
Cookies United said they “have been cooperating with the New York State Department of Agriculture and have been informed we are in compliance with all applicable rules and regulations relating to this product.” They offered their condolences to the deceased’s family.